twitter facebook in YT rss
0300 123 1 567

Universal Credit

We've got lots of information about Universal Credit including useful links, FAQs, how to prepare and a personal planner below...

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) have provided documents and tools to support people getting ready to claim Universal Credit:

  • To find out more about Universal Credit, read the DWP's introduction PDF
  • To help prepare you for Universal Credit, the DWP have created a personal planner that takes around 5-10 minutes to complete. It will provide you with information on any changes you may need to make. Visit the planner now.
  • The DWP have prepared a list of frequently asked questions, view them here.

Click to jump to a section...


What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is one benefit for working-age people that replaces several existing ones, namely: Housing Benefit, Income Support, Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income-based) and Employment and Support Allowance (Income-based) and Tax Credits.

Will it save me filling out of lots of separate applications?
Unfortunately not. These will still be separate:

  • Child Benefit
  • Council Tax Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance and its replacement, Personal Independence Payment
  • Contribution-based benefits, such as Job Seeker’s Allowance Contribution-Based and Contribution-Based Employment and Support Allowance.

Back to top

What’s happening about Pension Credit?
Nothing at the moment. Pension Credit will continue as it is.

When is Universal Credit coming to our area?
Universal Credit is being rolled out for new job-seeking claimants during 2015 and 2016 and it is already in Southampton and Wiltshire. It will continue across the rest of Radian's regions, as follows:

  • 4 May 2015: Eastleigh
  • 29 June 2015: Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and East Dorset
  • 6 July 2015: Reading, West Berkshire and Wokingham
  • Sept 2015 - Nov 2015: Bracknell Forest, Chichester, Slough, Test Valley, Winchester, Windsor & Maidenhead and Wycombe
  • Dec 2015 - April 2016: Basingstoke, East Hampshire, Fareham, Gosport, Havant, Hart, Portsmouth, Rushmoor, New Forest and Woking

When will it affect me if I’m already receiving Tax Credits or Housing Benefit?
If your circumstances do not change, at some point between October 2015 and October 2017, you will have to claim and move across to Universal Credit.

Will I get the same amount of money on Universal Credit as I do at the moment?
The rules for Universal Credit have tried to copy some of the benefits it replaces. Some people will receive more than the total of their existing benefits. Others will be entitled to less money under Universal Credit, but they will not see their benefits cut straight away. Instead, their benefits will be frozen until Universal Credit catches up. For example, if your Universal Credit award is £240 per week and you currently get £250, you will still get £250. In April, the Universal Credit rate might go up to £246, but you will stay on £250. The following year, the Universal Credit rate is £252, so you move up to £252.

Back to top

How will I know when to apply?
You will receive a letter between now and October 2017, telling you that you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Where do I get a form?
You will need to apply for Universal Credit online. If you don’t have online access at home, you will need to do this at a library or a public access point. The website is: 

I’ve never used a computer. That last answer filled me with dread!
Don’t panic! There’s lots of time to become computer-literate before the changes come in, and lots of places that can help. If you’re looking for a free or low cost computer course, then you can call 0800 77 1234 to be directed to your nearest UK Online Centre or text ‘online’ and your postcode to 80809. Texts cost 25p + your standard network charge. Ask friends or relatives, and join your local library. You’ll normally only need two forms of identity to join.

How am I going to send my wage slips in if it’s all online?
The plan is that you won’t have to. The DWP will directly receive details of your earnings each month from Revenue and Customs, and adjust your Universal Credit accordingly. If you earned less, you’ll receive more, and if you earned more, you’ll receive less. You should still inform the DWP as soon as possible after a change in circumstances.

What about my rent increase letter? Do I need to tell DWP when my rent changes?
Yes, you will need to tell them yourself. Currently, this will be by ringing the Universal Credit Helpline on 0345 600 0723* and sending a copy of your rent increase letter.

*The helpline is open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm. Calls cost 4p per minute from a BT landline plus 15p call set-up charge. From mobiles, calls cost 40p per minute. If you're worried about call charges, you can request a callback.

Back to top

Will my rent be paid directly to my landlord?
No. You will receive one payment of Universal Credit, including all the money to support you and your family, and the money to pay your rent. You will then need to pay your rent yourself out of this money. You will be responsible for ensuring your rent is paid. Radian expect rent to be paid in advance weekly or monthly. If you are concerned about your ability to pay rent, you can discuss this with the DWP or Radian to look at alternative payment arrangements - call us on 0300 123 1 567.

How do I pay my rent from my Universal Credit?
The easiest way would be to set-up a Direct Debit that can be paid from your bank account direct to your rent account when your Universal Credit payment is due. Alternatively, you can set up a standing order, pay online, or by mobile phone app by scanning the QR code on your rent statement. You can pay over the phone by debit card or credit card, or you can pay by payment card at a Paypoint location. To pay online or for more information, visit our 'Make a payment' page.

How often is Universal Credit paid?
Universal Credit will be paid monthly, on the same date each month. If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit, you can ask for an advance to help you budget in the first month. Speak to your work coach at the Job Centre when you receive your first appointment for more information.

What is Radian doing to prepare?
We have increased the size of the benefits team. We are also working hard to keep residents informed, and we are looking at how we can support people to go online. We have increased the dates on which we allow direct debit payments and we’re keeping a close eye on the plans for Universal Credit, which are changing all the time.

Back to top


 Useful links

  • Radian's video to help explain Universal Credit - view it here!

The Money Advice Service:


Back to top


Under occupation

We've created a video to help explain Under Occupancy

From April 2013 Welfare Reforms introduced the 'removal of the spare room subsidy'. It means that anyone of working age who has more bedrooms than they need will have their Housing Benefit reduced either by 14% if they have one spare bedroom; or 25% if they have two or more spare bedrooms.

The following groups are allowed a bedroom:

  • Every adult couple
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children of the same sex who are under 16 years old
  • Any two children regardless of sex who are under 10 years old
  • Any other child under 16 years old

The following groups are allowed an additional bedroom:

  • A foster carer
  • An adult child in the Armed Forces
  • Disabled children who are unable to share a bedroom

Find out what year you'll become exempt from the 'removal of the spare room subsidy' - check the Exemption table!

Under occupation & disabled people

A couple are expected to share a bedroom even if one or both of them are disabled, and regardless of their situation. They are not automatically entitled to an extra bedroom even if one is on an oxygen machine, undergoing at-home dialysis, or suffering from sleep apnoea. They can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from their local council, but this is at the council’s own discretion and likely to only be for a limited time.

A disabled child, however, is entitled to their own bedroom if he or she cannot share with siblings. If the child receives Disability Living Allowance and doesn’t sleep, for example, because of behavioural problems, the council is likely to find that the child can have an extra room. Contact your council for more information, or a Welfare Benefits Officer at Radian on 0300 123 1 567 for further advice.

Any disabled adult who needs a carer, who lives elsewhere, to stay regularly overnight is entitled to a spare room for the carer. “Regularly” is not defined. Again, contact your council if you think this might apply to you.


The Benefit cap

There is a limit on the amount of benefits that most people aged 16 - 64 can receive, this is known as the benefit cap.

Benefits that are affected

The cap applies to the total amount of money that the people in your household get from the following benefits:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)

How much is the benefit cap?

  • £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them

This means the amount you get for certain benefits could go down to make sure that the total amount you get isn’t more than the cap level.

Who won’t be affected?

You won't be affected by the benefit cap if anyone in your household qualifies for Working Tax Credit or gets any of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • Employment and Support Allowance, if you get the support component
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension
  • War pensions
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Thanks to for the information on this page

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) have been replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) since 8th April 2013. PIP can help if you have a long-term illness or disability and are aged between 16 and 64 years old. The amount you'll receive depends on how your condition affects you and your life, not the condition itself.

If you apply for PIP, you will be assessed to determine the amount of help you'll get. Regular assessments will follow to check you're still receiving the right amount of support.

The amount you get is measured against two parts - a 'daily living' component, and a 'mobility' component. The amounts currently are:

Daily living:
Standard £53
Enhanced £79.15

Standard £21
Enhanced £55.25


To check if you meet the criteria to receive PIP, visit the PIP eligibility section of the website. 

The PIP section of the website also has information about making claims and appealing agianst decisions. Visit

There is also a PIP helpline available Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm:
Telephone - 0845 850 3322
Textphone - 0845 601 6677

Alternatively, contact us on 0300 123 1 567 and ask to speak to a Financial Inclusion Officer.

Non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant person is someone who is over 18 years old, who lives with you and your family. For example, an adult son or daughter, an elderly relative or adult friend.

The following people are NOT classed as non-dependants:

  • a partner
  • someone who is dependant on the tenant, such as a child
  • a joint tenant
  • someone who pays the tenant to live there (a lodger)
  • a carer for the tenant

There are some exceptions however. For a full list, contact us on 0300 123 1 567 to check your circumstances in relation to non-dependancy.

If you have a non-dependant person living in your home, your Housing Benefits will be reduced. The amount of reduction depends on several factors such as whether they claim benefits or if they have a job, for example.

Contact us button