Are you worried about someone?

If you have concerns about somebody’s safety and wellbeing, whether they are a child or an adult, this page will offer you help and advice. Trust your instinct – if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.

Click on the headings below for answers to some common questions:

We take our customers’ (and their families’) welfare and safety very seriously. We have a responsibility to protect people from abuse particularly vulnerable adults and children. It is not the responsibility of Radian staff to investigate claims but to gather information and report suspected abuse or neglect to the Local Authority (Social Services) who will then co-ordinate the appropriate response. We have trained all our staff so that they can recognise and report suspected abuse.

  • Someone not getting the help they need
  • Someone being taken advantage of
  • Signs of fear or distress
  • Withdrawal or isolation, particularly if someone is usually very sociable
  • Someone not looking after themselves
  • A child or vulnerable adults basic physical and emotional needs not being properly met by others
  • A child seeking inappropriate attention
  • Someone not having money or food
  • Signs of domestic abuse
  • Unexplained injuries
  • Threats of harm or abandonment
  • A child not being supervised for long periods of time, or during activities which may lead to danger for them
  • Someone being exploited for profit or personal gain.

Abuse is behaviour towards a person (adult, young person, or child) that deliberately or unintentionally causes harm. It is a disregard of a person’s human rights and in the worst cases can endanger life.

Anyone can be an abuser and they are often people we trust, such as professionals, volunteers, family members, partners, carers, friends and neighbours.

Abuse can happen anywhere – in people’s homes, public places, day centres, hospitals, schools and colleges.

‘Vulnerable adults’ are people aged 18+ who may:

  • Rely on other people or services to care for them or support them with day-to-day tasks
  • Lack mental capacity
  • Not be able to speak up for themselves

Please help to prevent abuse

You might be worried about telling someone about a situation you’re uncomfortable with, when you do not have any evidence. But you shouldn’t let this stop you voicing your concerns. Please report it – you could make a big difference to someone’s life – you might even save it.

If you are being abused it is NEVER your fault. Please remember you are not alone. Abusers very often exploit the fact that someone feels alone and has no-one that they can talk to. No matter how much you hope that the abuse will stop on its own, it rarely works out that way.

To raise a concern about someone you can do any of the following:

If the person is in immediate danger, or a crime is being committed, call 999 straight away

If you have concerns about a child contact children services (social services) at your local council. You’ll be asked for your details, but you can choose not to share them. You can look up the contact details here:

If you have concerns about a vulnerable adult contact adult services (social services). You’ll be asked for your details, but you can choose not to share them. You can look up contact details here:

If you are a patient or visitor to a hospital or other health facility, you should immediately report your concerns to a member of staff.

Further advice and support is available:

Ring the Action on Elder Abuse Helpline on 080 8808 8141. Your call will be free and confidential and their number will not appear on your telephone bill. You can also visit their website at

Ring the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) on 0808 800 5000. It is free to call and you do not have to tell them who you are. You can also visit their website at

Ring ChildLine (this is set up for for children and young people to call for support and advice) on 0800 1111. It’s free, confidential and you don’t have to give your name if you don’t want to. You can also visit their website at

Ring the National Centre for Domestic Violence on 0800 970 2070. It is free to call or you can text NCDV to 60777 and they will call you back. You can also visit their website at


Useful documents

You can download copies of related documents below:

Community safety links

How can we help?