Overloaded electrical sockets, faulty wiring and appliances are some of the most common causes of fire in the home. Reduce your risk of fire by following these easy steps:
- Check that plugs, sockets and leads are undamaged and not frayed
- Don’t overload sockets – plugging too many appliances into one socket can lead to it overheating
- Never use adaptors plugged into other adaptors
- Check that the extension lead plug contains the correct fuse for the appliance you want to use
- If you’re using an adapter, restrict the current from all appliances using the adapter to 13 amps (13A) or 3000 watts (3000W)
- Allow larger appliances (such as dishwashers and washing machines) a single socket to themselves
If you have fuses that blow regularly or circuit breakers that trip for no obvious reason, it could be a sign that something is wrong. Please contact us on 0300 123 1 567 and ask for an electrician. If a fire breaks out in your home, dial 999 immediately and ask for the fire service.