Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
Make sure you are always Gas Safe in your home by following these six simple tips:
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly. e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances.
- Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of their card.
- Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
Find out more about Gas Safety on their website.