Recipe of the month: melt-in-the mouth mince pies
Get in the Christmas spirit by creating these delicious melt-in-the mouth mince pies.
A festive recipe for all the family to enjoy.
1 large jar of mincemeat (about 600g)
2 satsumas, segmented
1 apple, finely chopped
For the pastry:
375g plain flour
260g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- Place 375g plain flour and 260g softened unsalted butter in a bowl and rub together to a crumb consistency.
- Add 125g caster sugar and 1 large beaten egg, and mix together.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
- Scoop the large jar of mincemeat into a bowl and add 2 segmented satsumas, 1 finely chopped apple and zest of 1 lemon.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
- Using a round cutter (about 10cm), cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays. Put 1 1/2 tbsp mincemeat mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little beaten egg.
- Re-roll out the pastry to cut 7cm lids and press them on top to seal. Glaze with the beaten egg, sprinkle with the extra caster sugar, then make a small cut in the tops.
- Bake the mince pies for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before releasing them from the muffin trays and dusting with a little more icing sugar before serving.