Helping you to live independently

We are dedicated to helping you live independently in your own home. Each year we carry out adaptations up to the value of £1,500 where these are recommended. If we normally provide a repair service to your home, we can help by installing aids and adaptations for you and members of your family who live with you. If you are a leaseholder or homeowner and we don’t normally offer repairs, then we’ll be happy to advise you on what is available but we won’t do the installation work.

When work costs above our £1,500 limit, for example level-access showers (where you are not due for a new bathroom), or curved stairlifts, or major adaptations to the property, then the work must be funded by a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). A Disabled Facilities Grant can cover adaptations up to a value of £30,000. This grant is means tested, so you may have to contribute towards it. Unfortunately, we cannot assist with any contribution you may be asked to pay. Please contact your local Social Services department for more information about the grant but bear in mind that before you apply for a grant, you must first get an OT assessment and recommendation.


Aids and adaptations can improve the quality of your life if you are disabled or frail. While we will try and help with adaptations in as many cases as possible, some properties will not be suitable for adaptation. Below are types of adaptations that are available.


  • Disabled parking bays
  • Dropped kerb
  • Steps and ramps
  • Kee Klamp rails
  • External paving for wheelchair access

Access and mobility in and around the home

  • Keysafe
  • Door widening
  • Door entry systems
  • Automatic door opener
  • Rehanging doors
  • Stairlift
  • Handrails
  • Stair rails
  • Grab rails
  • Chamfer threshold

Bathroom and toileting

  • WC raiser
  • Lever taps
  • Changing stretcher
  • Bathlift
  • Ground floor WC
  • Overbath shower
  • Level access shower – we can’t usually pay for removing baths and installing level-access showers. However, if your OT recommends putting in a shower and we are due to replace your bathroom, we will try to install a shower as part of the refurbishment work. Your local social services department can arrange an OT assessment before we start work on your bathroom. Our Customer Service Centre can tell you when your bathroom is due for replacement.


  • Relocating radiators and storage heaters
  • Window winders
  • Kitchen alterations
  • Electrical sockets
  • Ironmongery
  • Scuff plates to door and corners
  • Hearing aid equipment

All works are carried out by a number of specialist external contractors. For example, some are general trades based, with experience of this type of work, others are specialists in stair-lift or door entry system installations.

Smaller adaptations can be recommended by your neighbourhood officer or scheme manager. If your housing officer doesn’t know enough about your disability, your GP or specialist doctor can be asked to write a letter explaining why you need the adaptation.

For complex cases involving the redesign of your home, contact your social services department for an Occupational Therapy assessment. This assessment may look at and consider other issues that you may not have considered.  As well as recommending adaptations, OTs can supply a wide variety of equipment to help with everyday life.

Should you require more information on our adaptations scheme please contact Radian Direct on 0300 123 1567 or email

For more information about the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), please contact your Social Services department. To find your Social Services department please visit

You may make improvements, alterations and additions to your home but you must get our written permission beforehand. In some circumstances we may need to visit you to discuss the proposals in more detail before we make a decision about giving approval. If you do not obtain permission, you could be charged to repair or restore your home to its original condition.

We will only refuse permission if we have a good reason. But we will only give consent on condition that:

  • The work is done to a certain standard
  • The proposed work does not reduce the value of your home
  • The alteration will not have a detrimental effect on your neighbours

Please remember that you will be required to obtain all other necessary approvals (for example planning permission or building regulation approval from your local council) and you will be responsible for applying for these and paying for any associated costs or fees.

Your rent will not increase as a result of any improvements you make but you will be responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the improvement.

You do not require our permission to:

  • Redecorate the inside of your home
  • Put up shelving
  • Fit curtain tracks and blinds

We would ask that you;

  • Do not hang wallpaper in new properties during the first 12 months. This is so that any drying out cracks which may occur remain visible and can be repaired at the end of the defects period
  • Do not apply artex or polystyrene tiles to walls and ceilings or paint over wall tiles, sockets and switches

We’re always happy to give help and advice over the telephone e.g. whether you’re unsure if something is a repair or an improvement. Please ring us on 0300 123 1 567.

These are an increasingly popular purchase among residents with a mobility problem. There are some important things to bear in mind before you make the decision to buy one, including where you will store it and how you will charge it. We’ve written a guide of things to consider before purchasing; please visit our Mobility scooters page for more information.

You will also need to bear in mind that Radian are not usually able to provide ramps or special storage for scooter users who are not full time wheelchair users.

Repairs & improvements links

How can we help?