Shared ownership, leasehold or market rent

If your tenancy with Radian is shared ownership, leasehold or market rent, the frequently asked questions below will give you more information about how your rent is set.

If you’d like more information about your rental agreement with us, please get in touch by calling Radian Direct on 0300 123 1 567 or email 

As a Shared Owner, your lease will set out how your annual rent is calculated. The main measures usually involve the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) or the Retail Prices Index (RPI).

Leaseholders will usually pay a ground rent annually. This is served by a notice which we include with your service charge estimates. Your lease sets out how your ground rent is charged. Most commonly, this is either the same figure each year for the term of your lease or an incremental increase which is calculated in the way set out in your lease.

Market Rent property’s rents are calculated in line with the market in the area where you live and through rent valuations.

We are a not-for-profit organisation. This means that we do not earn profit from the income provided to us through things such as your rent. Instead, the money is used to:

  • Manage and maintain our existing homes
  • Deliver goods and services
  • Invest in our communities
  • Invest in beneficial projects and initiatives such as The Round About Café and Café 1759
  • Build more homes across the south and south west, including ones for social, affordable and market rent and sale.

To find out more about how we invest our money, take a look at our Community Investment page.

We set service charges to recover the cost of our services. Radian doesn’t make a profit from them. We estimate service charges for the coming year by checking the previous year’s costs and considering changes (e.g. to the level of service and contractors’ prices, VAT and other factors).

If you pay a variable service charge (where we carry forward any surplus or shortfall from one years’ charge to the next), we will either require you to pay any difference to the estimate or refund it to you the following year. If you pay a fixed charge (where we don’t carry forward the surplus or shortfall from the previous year), there’s no extra charge or refund regardless of the final cost.

Some service charges increase because the cost of providing services increases. For example, heating charges increase if gas prices rise. Service charges also reduce when the cost of providing the service reduces.

You can claim an eligible charge from Housing Benefit and Universal Credit, but you cannot claim an ineligible charge. Examples of ineligible charges include heating and hot water for your home if they are supplied from a communal boiler or maintaining sheltered housing alarm systems.

If you need to pay ground rent (you can check this in your lease), we’ll send you a legal notice requesting payment before payment is due. If payment is due in April, and coincides with your service charge estimate, your notice will be sent with your service charge estimate. If payment is due at another time, you’ll receive a separate letter and notice.

No. Any rent increase stated in the letter does not include your arrears arrangement. So you’ll need to pay this on top.

You should take your letter to your local housing benefit office so they can adjust the rent level in your claim.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you should tell them about the change in rent and service charges. This should be done after 6 April, either through your Universal Credit online account, by reporting a change of circumstances, or by phoning 0800 328 5644.

No, you don’t need to change your direct debit with your bank – we’ll do this for you. You should receive notice from our direct debit team of the new amount.

Please check your bank statement after your payment date to make sure we have taken the right amount.

If you’re on partial Housing Benefit and pay by direct debit, we need to wait for Housing Benefit to tell us your new entitlement before we can make the change.

Yes, you need to contact your bank and ask them to change the amount of your standing order to cover any increase. If you want to avoid doing this in future, you could consider paying by direct debit because then the change happens automatically.

If you’re unhappy with the amount of your rent increase, you may be able to appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (an independent legal body with power to settle disputes about rent levels, among other things – previously known as the Rent Assessment Committee). But this applies only if your tenancy started in 2012 or before. For more information visit

Service charges are based on the services you receive and, in some cases, a payment on account for future works (such as roof repairs). As long as the charges are fair and reasonable (and, for certain long-term arrangements and qualifying works, as long as we have consulted the residents), you will have to pay the amounts charged. If you have worries about paying your rent or service charge, please call us on 0300 123 1 567.

Tell us if you have difficulty paying your rent. We can help in many ways. For more information and advice about benefits and debt, please go to our Financial Advice page.

Your rent must come first on your spending list. Not paying can mean eviction from your home. Thankfully, we don’t evict many tenants for non-payment, but sometimes we have to.